healing emotional pain ∙ resolving anxiety ∙ restoring well-being
DEPRESSION HURTS: People seek therapy because they suffer from depression, anxiety, and other emotional pain that interferes with living a satisfying life.
Depression hurts. It saps energy. It does not go away just because we want it to. Depression cleverly fools us into calling it something else, like exhaustion or boredom. Depression can cause all sorts of trouble. It can get in the way of having healthy relationships. It can get in the way of keeping a job. And, it can cause a person to feel physically awful.
There are many conditions and situations that trigger emotional pain and depression which can cause a person to seek therapy. Keep in mind, however, that naming a problem is only a starting point. Diagnosis is not the final goal of the therapy or of the therapist. Treatment with a positive outcome is the goal of therapy.
YOU ARE UNIQUE: Every person is unique, complex, and special. Every therapy is therefore, unique, as it strives to meet the goals and hopes of each individual patient.
PSYCHOANALYSIS WORKS: Some treatment looks only to discuss your behavior, focusing on your actions and on the thoughts you have about deciding how to behave. This type of therapy is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Studies show mixed results and higher rates of recidivism with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy treatments, as compared to the rates for Psychoanalytic treatments.
Psychoanalysis believes that behavior only changes if we understand the deeper motivations that cause the troubling or dysfunctional behavior and that influence decisions. This type of therapy is called Psychoanalysis. Lisa Lempel-Sander, here at Long Island Counseling, is a trained professional Psychoanalyst with over 25 years of psychoanalytic experience with positive outcomes for her patients.
HELP IS AVAILABLE
• Depression, Sadness, Feeling Lonely
• Lack of Motivation or Energy
• Parenting and Family Therapy
• Blended and Step-Family Problems
• How to Communicate
• How to Handle Discipline
• Adolescent Issues
• Family and Relationship Problems
• Going Through a Painful Divorce
• Going Through a Separation or Break-Up
• Ending a Relationship
• Grief Over the Death of a Family Member
• Grief Over the Death of a Loved One
• Grief Over the Death of a Spouse or Partner
• Grief Over the Death of a Child, Sibling
• Mother, Father, or Grandparent
• LGBTQ Issues: Gay, Lesbian
• Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Issues
• Gay Marriage Counseling
• Gay Family and Relationship Issues
• Eating Disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
• Avoidant and Restrictive Foot Intake
• Body Image Disorders
• Food Phobias, Other Phobias
• Gender Identity Questions
• Pansexual, Gender Fluid
• Addiction: Substance Abuse, Alcohol, Drugs
• Addiction: Gambling, Shopping
• Addiction: Sex, Porn, Food, Sugar
• Sex Therapy: Enhancing Sex and Intimacy
• Sexual Desire and Sexual Functioning
• Premature Ejaculation, Erectile Dysfunction
• Orgasm Dysfunction, Inability Achieving Orgasm
• Difficulty Achieving Orgasm
• Inability to Reach Climax
• Pornography, Deviance, Fantasies
• Hypoactive – Hyperactive Sexual Desire
• Trauma, PTSD, Personality Disorders
CONFIDENTIAL: All work is held in the absolute strictest of confidence. Long Island Counseling adheres strictly to the ethical and legal mandate regarding patient privacy.
WHERE WE’RE LOCATED: Long Island Counseling is in Douglaston, near Great Neck, Bayside and Little Neck. We’re also 5 minutes from both the Long island Expressway and from the Cross Island Parkway. We draw patients from New Hyde Park, Forest Hills, College Point, Whitestone, as well as from Manhasset, Plandome, Port Washington, Roslyn and Lake Success. We are proud to serve all of Nassau County and all of Queens County. Our offices are private, discrete, with parking and easy access.
CREDIT CARDS: At Long Island Counseling, we accept almost all credit cards. Due to the high cost and long delays in processing insurance claims, however, Long Island Counseling is exclusively an out-of-network provider and asks that you make payment at the time of service. Insurance claim forms are gladly provided for your submission.